Sunday, September 25, 2011

Farewell to hiking author Jerry Schad

Jerry SchadI was saddened to learn that beloved hiking author Jerry Schad passed away on Thursday. He was only 61 and succumbed to kidney cancer.

His book, Afoot and Afield in Los Angeles County has helped thousands of Angelinos hit the trails for wonderful hiking experiences. I purchased my first copy on March 31, 2005 and it has been a real treasure in finding and exploring new trails. He has written 16 books, which primarily focused on outdoor recreation, including two other well-regarded "Afoot and Afield" books, on San Diego County and Orange County.

He had a passion for the outdoors and had a huge generosity of spirit in spending his life to help others enjoy outdoor recreation.

Afoot and Afield in Los Angeles CountyJerry’s hike descriptions are clear, concise, accurate, colorful, and always have interesting tidbits to pique interest in hiking the trail. In my review of his work, I write, “He was written up so many hundreds of trails for hiking, biking, and running in Southern California, I have a hard time imagining he has a life outside of his trail ventures and writing.” Jerry was simply prolific in producing a huge body of work.

Outdoor enthusiasts have lost a great ambassador and true hiking guru. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family. Jerry, you are greatly loved and will be greatly missed. icon

Read more:


Visit Dan's Hiking Pages
 

3 comments:

  1. Very sad. Like most Southern Californians who love the outdoors, I have several of his titles on my bookshelf. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May The Lord God who created the heavens and the earth/and all the mountains upon which we hike....rest Jerry Schad in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still cry thinking about Jerry Schad and Huell Howser's influence on my outdoors life.

    ReplyDelete